There are many things you can do to help yourself age well: exercise and be physically active, make healthy food choices, and don’t smoke. But did you know that participating in activities you enjoy may also help support healthy aging?
As people get older, they often find themselves spending more and more time at home alone. The isolation can lead to depression, which is not good for your health. If you find yourself spending a lot of time alone, try adding a volunteer or social activity to your routine.
Here are some ideas:
Be Physically Active
- Garden or do yard work
- Take an exercise class or do exercises at home
- Go dancing
- Join a sports club for older adults, like a bowling club or bocce league
- Walk or bicycle with a friend or neighbor
- Take a swimming class
- Play cards or other games with friends
- Play with your grandchildren. Teach them a game or dance you remember from childhood.